Sunday 9 June 2013

People and Place - Exercise: Close and involved

The brief:
 
Switch lenses (or adjust focal length) to the widest that you have.  A true -angle, judged from its visual effect is around 28mm or less.  One of the uses for a wide-angle lens is to be able to cover a large subject area in one shot, this this exercise is to concentrate using it close to people and try to achieve a sense of putting the viewer right inside the situation.

On Sunday, my daughter was clearly concentrating very hard on her homework and so I nipped back indoors and grabbed my camera, she was showing some serious expression on her face and I wanted to show this.  My lens is 24-105mm and therefore I used this at the smallest 24mm, this meant that I had to get up close and personal, but she didn't seem to mind.

 
Still using the camera on auto, I shot the following images of her.  This was the closest I could get with the 24mm and auto focusing would let me.  The weather was warm and sunny, however in the summer house we had lots of shade which gave me the perfect chance to take these pictures.
 




 
I particularly like this one as it shows her deep in thought, it makes you wonder what she is thinking about



 
A very solemn expression here, not sure if she is deep in thought or annoyed at having to do her homework.



 
As I was limited to focal length of 24mm, I moved around her as she sat doing her work, both sides and also in-front of her.
 
I was lucky to work with my daughter as she is fairly tolerant of me and my camera, however, I could imagine that it would/may be quite awkward working with a complete stranger at this distance.  A lot of direction and easy chat would definitely be required to relax both parties involved to enable relaxed images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.