Thursday 6 June 2013

People and Place - Exercise: Developing your confidence

Street photography


Street photography is a genre of photography that features subjects in candid situations within public places and does not necessitate the presence of a street or even the urban environment. 'Street' simply refers to a place where human activity can be seen, a place to observe and capture social interaction. The subject can even be absent of any people and can be that of object or environment where an object projects a human character or an environment is decidedly human.

 

Framing and timing are key aspects of the craft, with the aim of creating images at a decisive or poignant moment. Alternatively, the street photographer may seek a more prosaic depiction of the scene, as a form of social documentary.
 
Much of what is now widely regarded, stylistically and subjectively, as definitive street photography was made in the era spanning the end of the 19th Century through to the late 1970s; a period which saw the emergence of portable cameras. During the course of its evolution, street photography has provided a diverse and detailed record of street culture. The advent of digital photography, combined with the exponential growth of photo-sharing via the internet, has greatly expanded an awareness of the genre and its practitioners.

Street culture may refer to:

[Online] available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography Accessed on 15/05/2013
[Online] available from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_culture Accessed on 15/05/2013

The brief:

Choose an outdoor situation where there will be lots of people and activity.

Take as many photographs as you comfortably can in one session.

Today, I got all the necessary equipment that I would need to go out on a street shoot and set my camera to Auto, I am using a canon with 24-105mm lens.  I headed for my local town and parked up.  It was unusually quiet, but I decided to shoot anyway for the experience.  I walked around a little first before getting my camera out.  I was looking at situations that people were in.  People in groups, pairs and on their on.  I was nervous about the shoot a little and as I started shooting, it felt wrong to be invading peoples privacy.  Some people looked at me, however, the majority were completely oblivious to me even being there.
 
I didn't stay in the same place long and kept looking around me, I am not sure if it was to see if there was an opportunity around or to check in case someone was about to tap me on the shoulder and ask me "what the hell I was doing" (it wouldn't be the first time I've been moved on for taking pictures) as I always seem to get myself in trouble when out with my camera.  In actual fact when I arrived home, my husband said "you didn't get arrested then!" (and not that I have before - he was just joking).
 
The weather today was pleasantly warm and sunny for the 1st day of May and people were going about their normal business, however, it was particularly quiet in town.

 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
015
 
I felt quite uncomfortable taking this shot, especially afterwards, as initially she was looking the other way and suddenly turned and faced the camera, not sure if she looks a little annoyed, but she just looks really alone.
 
014
 
This guy was completely oblivious to the fact that I was there, and this I didn’t mind so much – there was a lot of bored looking men around town this morning.

After completing this exercise, I read some books on the subject.
 
No better advice has ever been given to street photographers than that offered by Walker Evans, one of the greatest American Photographers of the mid twentieth century: 'Stare' It is the way to educate your eye, and more.  Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop.  Die knowing something.  You are not here long.
 
[Howarth & McLaren, 2010, Street Photography Now, Thames & Hudson Ltd Page 9]
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.