Monday 15 April 2013

People and Place - Exercise 7 - Focal length


The brief:

Using different focal lengths when shooting the same subject, use at least 3 different points on the lens.
 
Varying the focal length on my lens - I am using 24-105mm.
 
I used my husband for this exercise, he was studying at the time therefore no direct eye contact as I didn't really want to disturb him.

24mm

35mm

50mm

70mm

105mm
 
 
 
I don't think that 24mm is a particularly flattering focal length to use for a portrait image, and from the distance that I was sitting 105mm has cropped too much, but I like that the eyes are clear and bright.  From what I have been reading between 50-80mm would be the preferred focal length for portrait images, and infact a lot of photographers are using a 50mm prime lens (perhaps I'll add that to my wish list)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.