Monday 15 April 2013

People and Place - Exercise 2 - Thinking about location

Initially there are a few locations that spring to mind, as I read this:-

  • The woods
  • The beach
  • The grafetti underpass
Other possibilities:
 
  • Victorian tram stop - Southsea
  • Railings by beach (shooting upwards)
  • Brighton Pier
  • Fort Brockhurst walkway
  • Bridge (Gosport)


but I would also say that it depends on the character of the person that you are about to photograph - Will they suit the backdrop? I mean; a man in a suit wouldn't necessarily look as comfortable with a background of graffiti as I young boy on a bmx - so some thought needs to go into the composition.
 
Other things that need to be identified are:
 
  • Does the area need tidied? Look out for distractions, litter on the floor, disorder, open doors/drawers or other people.
  •  
  • Strong clashing colours, posters, paintings, signs - think about if they distract or add to the look that you are after.
  •  
  • Does it compliment the subject or detract from them?
  • Clothing also makes a difference to the location!
I have put together a few locations from nearby my home town - they vary in location and detail.


 The woods
 Guildhall steps
Seafront castle
 Fort Brockhurst
Subway graffiti

Graffiti subway - converted to black and white to see how it looked
 
Beach pillars
Bus/tram shelter stop

Reflections:
 
These would have been ideal locations, Great granddad's kitchen table and his favourite armchair.  I can see him sitting at the table and also in his armchair, I'm not so sure he would have been entirely comfortable about me taking his photos though, but still I decided to take the photos anyway to remind me of him.


 
Thoughts:
 
I have come to realise that I should carry a camera at all times regardless if it be my DSLR, pocket point and shoot or my phone (with camera), as there is always an opportunity for a photo!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.