Monday 15 April 2013

People and Place - Exercise 6 - Review a portrait sequence

A checklist for reviewing a portrait sequence

  • Is the general composition satisfactory?
  • Is there anything behind the subject that appears to emerge from the head?
  • Is there anything that can be left out of the frame to make it simple?
  • Is the lighting balance about right?
  • How is the angle of the head?
  • How is the facial expression?
  • Does the body language communicate ease, tension, alertness, or what?
The brief:-

Set up a portrait session in a formal, structure way, so that you have a consistent setting and framing.  Use a tripod, so that you can concentrate more on the situation, and so the only variable between the series of pictures that you take will be the expression and gestures of the subject.

At least 20 images

One of my first attempts with studio lights and a little helper by way of my son and his prized monkey!
 
I pretty much let my son lead the shoot, I spoke to him throughout the session about different things hence some of the great facial expressions, but most of all we had fun.
 
I am still relatively inexperienced in this area, but I used a white backdrop and studio lighting with a softbox.  I have noticed that with him moving around so much that I haven't quite got the lighting in the right areas.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Some of the images I personally feel are better than others where lighting is concerned, some have unwanted shadows etc. 
 
My personal favourites from the shoot are the following, just for pure expression on his face.
 
Scream and shout and let all out!

It almost looks like he is having a conversation here with his monkey.
 
 
Basic lighting setup 2 backlights placed in hi-light box and main light with soft-box used at front of setting.
 
 
I think as first attempt - I didn't do too bad with this setup.  There are a few shadows, that I would have liked to removed.  As this was a studio with a clean white background, there are no obstructions or objects appearing to grow from the head, nothing needs cropped out that appears to distract.  He has great character and facial expression, he loves to clown around!  He looks completely at ease in the images.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.