Monday 8 October 2012

DPP - Assignment 2 Seeing like your camera - EDITED

DPP - Assignment 2 Seeing like your camera - EDITED

A little overdue, but the weather has been really unkind to me!

Part 1: Four Situations

  • Street scenes in the middle of a clear sunny day, narrow streets, high buildings, deep shadows
  • Indoor space, with available natural strong window light
  • People in the shade with background sunlight
  • Early morning or late evening landscapes
  • Backlit scenes whether in direct or indirect light
  • Scenes which include objects of very different reflectivity, even in flat light on an overcast day
  • Indoor scenes illuminated by a single source of artifical light of high luminance ie: desk lamp
  • A scene with strong dappled light
Window light

I visited Old Portsmouth Cathedral and walked around looking at all the possibilities that it held - these are the images using strong natural window light.

 
Sunlight through a stained glass window
 

 
Window light through a large window, sheilded by a large tree and dusty window
 

 
Strong sunlight against the candle orb with reflecting shadows
 
 
Objects of different reflectivity
 
 
Wightlink Ferry Terminal - reflective objects

 
Old Portsmouth Cathedral chandelier

 
 
Spice Island - The Bridge Pub and Spinnaker Tower in the background
 
 
Objects illuminated by an artifical light
 
 
 
Wedding headgear
 
 
 
Every girl must haves!
 
 
 
Mr Grey
 
Dappled light
 
 
Dappled tree shadows outside the Cathedral
 
 

Garden of Remembrance

 
 
Tree shadows
 
I found this a particularly challenging assignment for various reasons the main reason being the weather that restricted me so much during this time.
 
I had a list of places that I wanted to visit, but each time I tried it rained. So I decided on somewhere completely different and that location was Southsea. It was a bright clear sunny day (for a change) and I packed my bag, jumped into the car and set off. I made the most of the day starting at Old Portsmouth Cathedral, where I have visited on a few occassions before. I knew that this would provide me with the strong sunlit window images and also some dappled shaded areas outside and around the Cathedral.
 
During the wet and raining days - I set up an indoor studio with the aid of a desk lamp and a few objects suitably arranged.
 
 
 Part 2: Choose one scene and think about what the lighting conditions should be in order to reduce the contrast.
 
 
Tree Shadows using a flash gun
 
 
Original image was taken on a bright clear sunny day in Southsea Common.  It shows deep dark shadows cast by the trees along the pathway.  Some ways around this would be to wait until the sun was behind the clouds, but this would have left the image dull and flat - I decided that I would use some fill flash and attached my speedlight to my camera.  I took another image using the speedlight to lighten the shadows - this also helped to brighten the trees, although the sky was blue it appears hard to see through the leaves.
 
 
EDITED IMAGES
 
Window light
 
Original image: Window light through a large window, sheilded by a large tree and dusty window
 
 
Edited image below showing the effects of natural window light and the shadows it casts

 
Objects of different reflectivity
 
Original image: Old Portsmouth Cathedral chandelier
 

Edited image below - with slight straightening adjustments made

 
 
Objects illuminated by an artifical light
 
Original image - Every girl must haves!
 
 
Edited image below

 
Original Image: Wedding Headgear
 
 
 
Edited image below

 
Original Image:  Mr Grey
 
 
Edited image below

 
A valuable lesson has been learnt and all edited images were re-shot using a reflector at one side and artifical desk lamp on the other.