Wednesday 17 October 2012

DPP 3 - Exercise: Raw

DPP 3 - Exercise: Raw




Information scanned from magazine Digital Photographer Issue 125 (the main article Understanding Raw)

I have never shot in Raw so this exercise is very new to me.  I set my camera up onto Raw + JPEG(L), I was unsure if I need to take 1 image or whether the camera would automatically do the necessary.  So, after a quick exercise I uploaded the images and realised that well actually the camera does the needful and that I had 2 of every image one Raw and one JPEG.  Ok success or so I though ... I found that I couldnt open any of the Raw CR2 images - which was a little confusing !  Confusion lead to internet searching to see why I could not open these Raw images, and a little while later I found I needed to download a DNG converter which would allow me to open my Raw files.  Success!

Exercise: Raw

Demonstrate the processing advantages of raw
Plan and shoot 3 images in 3 different lighting situations

  • Daylight
  • Artifical Light
  • High dynamic range
Well, today found me out shooting in Raw and JPEG and I successfully uploaded and opened them - although a little fiddly as I have to convert first using the DNG converter and then delete all CR2 files :-( but still it works so I'll stop dripping!

Note to self: WIN7>programme files>Adobe>DNG converter

Daylight

JPEG

RAW - Edited in Raw

Military War Memorial Lee-on-the-Solent
With this raw image I decided that I would make harsher adjustments to as I wanted to see just how different the 2 images would look.  In Raw I changed the white balance, adjusted the brightness and contrast sliders and also booster the saturation to emphasis the sky.


Artifical Light

JPEG
 
RAW - Edited in Raw
 
Artifical light taken inside an amusement arcade - Southsea
Raw version shows more impact with lighting - I changed the White balance setting and adjusted the brightness and contrast of this image, I also increased the saturation a little to make it a little punchier.
 
High dynamic Range
 
JPEG

RAW - Edited in Raw
 
A walk along the Solent where this image was taken the weather conditions were strong winds, heavily overcast with sunny spells. I waited until the sun came out again and was shinning brightly on the sea.  I made slight adjustments to the White balance, contrast and brightness within Raw.  Jpeg image has definately lost detail in the sea area of the image.  I prefer the Raw image as it is much moodier and storm like.  This image is actually colour, however because of the weather conditions it does appear black and white, so I have converted it into a B&W image to see difference.
 
Converted to black and white
 
The greys are greyer here compared to the Raw file as they appear a slight sepia tone.