Saturday 16 March 2013

People and Place - Exercise 1 - Portrait - Scale and setting

The Brief:

Complete 4 scales of portrait in this one session:-
  • Face, cropped in close
  • Head and shoulders
  • Torso, taking into account arms and hands
  • Full figure
First things first, a willing volunteer! Easier said than done, most people tend to say "No way" and very few shout "me, me, me"!
 
I started with my 3 year old Son with this one, but all he wanted to do was pull silly faces!  Which surprises me as he is usually a real poser.  The cute kids with the silly expression!  Well they do say "Never work with Children or Pets"


I decided that my husband Nick would be the best candidate for the job as he would be alot more sensible about the brief.
 
I decided to have him sit on the stairs as there are no real distractions in the background.  There is natural window light to the front from the door and side window.  I set my camera to the AV setting, my husband is naturally relaxed so this wasnt a problem for him to pose and I think he looks casual and relaxed.

I believe these to be the best, as some of his facial expressions were rather goofy, whereas the following 4 that I choose show a casual smile, although the head and shoulders shot shows a slightly "what you looking at" expression!
 
Face, cropped in close
 

Head and shoulders

Torso, taking into account arms and hands
 
Full figure
 
 
Hopefully the work over the next few exercises will turn my future portrait images into something really special.