Thursday 8 November 2012

DPP Assignment 3 - Monochrome

DPP Assignment 3 - Monochrome

The brief:

Choose a theme or subject that you will conceive, shoot and process in black and white, attempting to bring our the monochrome images qualities of form, tonal contrast and texture, perhaps even experimenting with key.  You should choose between 5 and 10 images.
 
Subjects to consider: People, Landscapes, seascapes, trees and plants, skin ie: old and young, architecture, urban, musical instruments.

Current thoughts are People, skin (old and young) and also possibly musical instruments!  Watch this space ...

Ok so out came the old violin, black back drop and one light with barn doors and a reflector and I done some trial shots, after looking at these shots, I decided that I would try and improve on some of them, by means of positioning and lighting.
 
Form
  
DPP3 FORM2
 
Outline shape of a violin showing its 3D appearance
 
DPP3 FORM1
 
Another angle in which the light shows the volume of the violin
 
Tonal Contrast
 
DPP3 TONAL 1
 
Tonal variations from black to white showing different greys on the violin
 
DPP3 TONAL2
 
A close up of the different shades of greys and blacks on the violin
 
Texture
 
DPP3 TEXTURE1
 
Carvings and strings
 
DPP3 TEXTURE2
 
Old and bashed but still maintains its beauty, these markings help give the violin the rustic charm
 
Key
 
DPP3 KEY1

I decided on low key for these shots, however I used some manuscript to enhance and add more white detail
 
DPP3 KEY2
 
Using the black back drop I propped the violin up and lent the bow against it, I also used some glass underneath to create a reflection which I think gives this image a sense on mystery and charm.
 

 
My husband was the violin player in the family, and although he does not play anymore, I thought this a great tribute to his time playing the instrument.  I wanted to created some pleasing images using dramatic lighting.  I decided on 1 studio lamp fitted with barn doors as this way I could focus the lighting more on certain areas.  I set up the equipment I needed and had a practise with positioning and lighting and then I previewed the shots that I had taken.  It was late when I finished so decided to pack away and have another go the following day.  During the day I had, had a few ideas also that I wanted to try like the reflection adding manuscript (although not the correct music) it adds to the overall image.  I am pleased with the images that I produced, although another set of eyes and opinions always count.  So look forward to hearing the feedback.
  
 
EDITED:
Advice from my tutor, has lead me to edit a few of the image above and they are as follows:
 
KEY
 
 
Definately works better as a square image