Friday 16 November 2012

DPP 4 - Exercise - Enhancement

DPP 4 - Exercise - Enhancement

Brief: Photograph a closeup, head and shoulder portrait in available or natural light, without flash or other photographic lighting.  The face should be in the shade, facing torward the camera and both eyes clearly visable.
 
I used my daughter for this exercise, we went outside to the back garden, against the wall is completely shaded and no other lighting was used.
 
 
Original image with natural lighting taken in the shade

 
The face and neck was selected using the quick selection tool and then the brightness and contrast slider adjusted
 
 
 
 
I changed the colour here to a dark green, but it is hard to see here and almost hides the pupils too, so not a good enhancement
 
 
 
Here I brightened the colour of her natural brown eyes and cropped in tighter.
 
 
On this last image we had to alter the eye colour by adjusting the hue slider.  I also noticed whilst doing this that the catch lights in the eyes changed colour, as there is slight sky light caught in them.
 
I am satisfied that making selections to enhance and brighten are positively feasable, however by changing the colour of a persons natural colour of eye is tampering with reality and not ideal.
 
Whilst flicking through an old photography magazine I found this article on enhancement.  Some of these enhancements are beyond are a little too much in my eyes, ok they have tidied up her hair, however they have also cosmetically modified the shape of her face!!!