Monday 24 September 2012

DPP - Exercise - Your camera's dynamic range

Well inspite of the rain and strong wind - the sun poked its head out for 5 minutes, just long enough for me to nip outside to the garden with my camera to enable me to complete this exercise.

Exercise: Your camera's dynamic range

Find a scene with a high dynamic range:
  • Bright sunlight
  • at least one brightly reflecting surfaces
  • an area of deep shadow with a dark surface

The front of the house with the door open and white card set beside the door, provides several different areas in the dynamic range.  This was taken at 1/1600 f5.6 ISO 100.
 
  
 
A close up of the white card area 1/2000 f5.6 ISO 100

 
1/1000 f5.6 ISO 100

 
1/160 f5.6 ISO 100
 
 
Here I checked several points within the original image of different surfaces in the picture, they ranged from 1/400 to 1/2000 which is 7 stops difference.  This exercise was completely new to me and not something that I have practised before, so I have learned some interesting new skills here.